Thursday, September 27, 2007

Art filled day

Today we went to the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston. http://www.mfah.org/main.asp?target=home I wanted to show my children that art is not something perfect in our eyes. Art is what you make it to be. My middle son gets so sad because he says he can't draw or paint nice like this person or that one. So we went to a wonderful museum. If you get a chance to go to an art museum take the chance. Although the little one started getting bored towards the end he also enjoyed it. It was actually kinda funny when there was a marble statue of I don't even remember who but you know what I mean. Those that have no heads or arms and have hardly any clothing on them. hehehe Well my little one passed by that one with with tiny hands over his eyes. It cracked me up because as we passed it by he looked back and laughed.

There were many paintings, drawings and too many buildings to do them all in one day. Oh and Thursday is *free* day in Houston. Wowwweeeee!!! We saw all that for free. There was things from Roman times. The usual amount of paintings depicting Jesus and Mary in the eyes of different artists. Then there were some by Vincent Van Gogh that I liked called The Rocks. Some by Pablo Picasso, by Matisse, Delacroix, Monet, Renoir and some by Edgar Degas. Most areas we could not take pictures of I would have taken a picture of everything. hehehe I had my favorites.

Now I don't know what it is about Mexican artists. What is up with all the death, blood and skeletons? I really don't understand why some people have to express themselves with blood in the gorrish sense. We just walked right by some areas. Too much gore for my taste.

Below are a few pictures we could take and I wanted to share with you all.

These are by Mary Cassett, Georgia O'Keeffe, and Tiffany.


I took these to remind my son that art is what you make of it. After seeing these and others he said that he could do that. This should make us all feel that we can draw or paint because what is art to us is just that.... ART.

Now there was a special exhibit called Red Hot. It was Asian art and boy was that fun. I just wish I could have taken pictures of at least a few from there but of course all the great stuff was off limits to cameras. This kept all the kids attention and it was at the end so what a wonderful ending to our art day.

Make it a point to go to an art museum even if you don't consider your family an art museum type family. There is always something for everyone and it will capture their attention.

No comments: