Saturday, October 20, 2007

What curriculum do I get?

Houston Museum of Natural Science

The first question I always get asked is about our curriculum. What to use or if we have heard about a certain curriculum. It always comes down to what I think is the best curriculum to buy.

There is no way to answer that question with one sentence. Each curriculum is different. There is basically two kinds of books. That is christian(bible based, religious, creation directed) and secular.

Let me say a bit about christian books. Some range from mildly religious to way too much religious content for some. Each and everyone needs to decide what they will accept in their home and what they will not.

A note about secular books. They are written with the idea of evolution and no existence of God at all. Therefore, again we must decide what we will accept in our homes.

I personally think there can be a balance in each and know many who use one or the other or both. That being said there is no one family that is using the wrong books to teach and learn from. It is all a matter of conscience.

First thing I suggest is read, read, read. I think it's very important to just read about homeschooling. To look up the different curriculum's out there. Different ways of homeschooling. There is classical, eclectic, CM, unschooling and everything in between. I think I consider our schooling classically eclectic with a bit of CM thrown in there for good measure. Is that possible? Anything is possible.

There are two books I always suggest to those that are just beginning to homeschool and they are The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise and the book 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum by Cathy Duffy.


So there you have my thoughts on curriculum. This is a very basic and easy explanation I always talk to the new ones about. If you are thinking of homeschooling you have to put some time into it by reading about homeschooling and learning the laws and requirements before even making a final decision on what books you will use. Homeschooling takes time but it can be fun times.

No comments: