Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Proud Dyslexic Moment

Have you ever wondered what a dyslexic sees or how they write? Do you think they are not being taught right? Maybe mom isn't doing her job. Do you teach phonics to them or do you teach them differently? How, how, how?

Last year ended my feelings of not knowing what was wrong. "What was I doing wrong?" That was my thinking. I always asked myself that question. A friend who happened to be a public school teacher at the time offered to test him. The diagnosis of dyslexia and Irlen syndrome was a relief. Now we know what is wrong and can work to deal with it in a way that is best for him. Till then he would not write. He felt embarrassed. He felt dumb. His handwriting was bad and his math was not that great either. This is one smart guy though. He can hear a story read to him and tell you all about it.

I've done lots of reading on dyslexia and Irlen in order to try to figure out the best way to teach him. I'm in the process of finishing up the book The Gift of Dyslexia by Ronald Davis. I'm still reading the books called The Everything Parent's Guide to Children with Dyslexia by Abigail Marshall and Reading by the Colors by Helen Irlen. The last two books basically tell me what I already know so far. I guess, that is why it is taking me so long to finish them. So far I am liking the book The Gift of Dyslexia. There is still lots to learn on how to help him.

So what is this all about? Well, my son came to me and gave this story to us to read. He did a great job! What is she thinking???? you may ask. Well, this is the first time he has written me a story. His handwriting is better. I can actually read it, even though it is not spelled right.

I am sharing this story because this is an accomplishment. This is a great thing. This may help those that don't understand what or how a child writes that has dyslexia to actually see it. The struggles are huge but we learn to deal with them as best as we can.
This story is about a chicken on a stick at KFC. Don't ask. It's something the boys talk about all the time. Chicken on a stick! Chicken on a stick! There is only one made up word in this story and it's deestinu, which is de-sticked. Even though the spelling is atrocious I understood it. He was very proud of his work and so were we.


4 comments:

denise said...

Yay - that is terrific! And wow, not just a short story, but a whole page! :)

Anonymous said...

that is the cutest story i have ever read!! GO ISAAC!! chicken on a stick! lol i think its so cute how he calls tio tata :) tell him to keep up the good work!
<3 cali

Robin said...

Oh, your story chokes me up. I'm so proud of your son. What a great accomplishment!
Now isn't it moments like this that make you glad that YOU got to witness this milestone, and not the teacher?
Awesome!

Dana Leeds said...

I agree - isn't it great we homeschool so WE can watch the milestones, and not have a teacher just telling us about it? I'm so proud of your son!