Monday, January 25, 2010

The Secret Life of the Dyslexic Child

Since making the announcement that I was ordering and starting with Barton for my son I wanted to read something interesting about dyslexia.  I am forever looking for new books.  You all know how it is when you go to the bookstore, right?  You walk in with an idea of different subjects that you would like to learn about.  Well, I've been reading about dyslexia.  I walked through Barnes and Noble and it was teachers appreciation week.  Yippee, 25% off that weekend!  We don't have a B&N in my town but we were in Wichita, Kansas visiting family and I can't ever leave there without going to the bookstore especially when it's teacher appreciation week.  

I found this book called The Secret Life of the Dyslexic Child by Robert Frank.  I have a couple more pages to read before I am on chapter 6.  Wow, is all I can say about this book.  If your child is dyslexic or you just want to know about how a child with dyslexia feels then you have to read this book.  If you know of a child or older person with dyslexia then you have to read this book.  

Dyslexia is not just letter reversals or not being able to read.  It can involve many aspects of life and it does in many people from math, reading, writing and given directions for a project and they just can't remember what was told to them.  There is much more to it than that.  

I hope to be done with this book soon but so far it is two thumbs up. 


No comments: