Friday, November 28, 2008

My, Oh My! Amazing Things We Find

So are you wondering what those little round things are? hehehehehe Well, read on to find out. Yesterday, my brother called to tell me what he saw in his garden.

It was big, mushy, gushy and had a horn looking thing on one end. As you can see on this next picture it is long. It is about 3 1/2 inches long.

By the way, that horn looking thing is on the end part. If you click on those pictures you will see it closer. There are little dots on the sides that look like eyes.

So are you wondering what it is? If you look on this site you will see two different kinds depending on the color of that horn looking thing. This one has a red end so it's a tobacco hornworm.

What will it become? It will be a sphinx moth sometimes called a hummingbird or hawk moth. The only thing is that I have to feed this thing for about a month or so and then it will go into a pupa. You could never imagine the amount of poop this thing creates. It is eating the green tomato and I think that if I scoop up all that poo that it would be at least half that tomato. Ok, so you didn't really want to know that. hehehe Let's see how long this thing will take to go to the next stage in life.

I guess marigolds should be planted into my brothers garden next year. Marigolds are a repellent plant for this. We learn something every time we go outdoors.

1 comment:

hicksgirl93 said...

All I have to say is that you never cease to amaze me with the things you find (as i quietly scratch my now itchy skin). WOW! You are a tough cookie...lol!