Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Is it a girl or boy?


Remember the post about our new baby? I said we had a girl and someone wanted to know how I could tell the difference. Well, no, I didn't turn it over. Can't tell that way. hehehe Here is how you can tell. Look at my picture and then hop on over to Applie's Place and see the handsome guy she posted about.

I have the Kaufman Field Guide to Butterflies of North America and it shows the two. It says in part, that males are mostly black with yellow spots along wing edge and a submarginal yellow band of varying width. On females the band is reduced to small spots on forewing and replaced by blue scaling on hindwing.

There you have it. I had girls and over at Applie's Place they have the boys. And there is another nature study completed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great! Should we have an arranged marriage? lol I'm going back to my blog and link to this one.

Butterflies are so pretty and worth watching. Our other five have not hatched and they may not. :(